3 minutes reading time (556 words)

How Do I Get a Permanent Resident Card Renewal?

A permanent resident card, also known as a green card, is an identification card that serves as proof of a person's lawful permanent residency status in the United States. This card is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and allows the holder to live and work in the U.S. permanently. However, it has expiration date, and the holder needs to renew their permanent resident card before the expiration date to maintain the status of the Permanent resident.

The process of renewing a permanent resident card is similar to the process of applying for a new one. The first step in the process is to ensure that you are eligible to renew your card. In order to be eligible to renew your card, you must meet certain criteria, including:

  • Being a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
  • Having a valid and unexpired green card
  • Not having any disqualifying criminal or immigration history

It is important to note that if your green card has been expired for over a year, you may be barred from returning to the United States until you obtain a new one.

Once you have determined that you are eligible to renew your card, the next step is to gather the necessary documentation. This typically includes:

  • Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Proof of your lawful permanent resident status
  • Proof of your identity and U.S. residence
  • The renewal fee, which is currently $455

It is important to make sure that the application is filled out completely and accurately, and all the required documents are included. Once you have completed the application and gathered all of the necessary documentation, you can submit it to the USCIS.

It is important to be aware that the processing time for a green card renewal may vary depending on your location and current case load at the USCIS. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year for your application to be processed and your new card to be issued. It's best to check the USCIS processing times for your specific location.

It's important to keep your address updated with the USCIS because it could affect processing time. You can notify them about the change of address by filing Form AR-11 or you can do it online.

In addition, it's best to renew your green card when it expires, or at least 6 months before its expiration date. If you renew your card too close to the expiration date, it may expire before the renewal is processed, resulting in loss of permanent resident status.

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, you'll need to submit a new form I-90 and additional fee to replace it.

In conclusion, renewing a permanent resident card is a crucial process to maintain your status as a lawful permanent resident of the United States. It is important to ensure that you are eligible to renew your card, gather the necessary documentation, fill out the application accurately, submit it to the USCIS, and keep your address updated with the USCIS. Renewing your card well before the expiration date can help ensure that your status as a permanent resident is not interrupted. If you have any doubts or concerns about the renewal process, it is best to seek the advice of an immigration attorney.

The content on this website is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. The information presented on this site should not be construed as legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel. Viewing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. We do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on this website and will not be liable for any errors or omissions in the information provided. You should not act or rely on any information on this website without seeking the advice of a qualified attorney.

Related Posts


Our law firm, attorneys & staff are client-focused & results driven.

Probate Attorney Serving Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma

"Great to work with, staff is professional and quick to respond"

Caroline - Yelp
Probate Attorney Serving Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma

"Great job, quick and easy, taken care of all in one visit"

Thien - Avvo
Probate Attorney Serving Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma

"Great with probates, fully trust in her, communicates regularly"

Kim - Google

*stock photos used


Contact Information

Office Hours:
Mon - Fri: 10AM to 5PM
Sat, Sun: Closed

WA: (425) 998-7295
AZ: ‪(602) 899-9356‬
Toll-Free: (844) 888-7771

(425) 420-2695

By calling or texting (844) 888-7771, Customers agree to receive text messages, If you no longer wish to receive text messages, you may opt-out at any time by replying "STOP"


Main Office:

1500 Benson Rd. S #203
Altitude Business Center
Renton, WA 98055

Additional Locations:

64 E Broadway Rd Suite 200
Wells Fargo Plaza
Tempe, AZ 85282

Observed Holidays

Jan 1 - New Years' Day
Jan 21 - Martin Luther King Day
May 28 - Memorial Day
Jul 4 - Independence Day
Sept 3 - Labor Day
Nov - Thanksgiving Day
Nov - Black Friday
Dec 24 - Christmas Eve
Dec 25 - Christmas Day
Dec 26 - Day after Christmas